Wednesday, October 28, 2009

NaNoWriMo Uh oh

Holy crap. Only three more days left in October, which means it's almost time to see if I've got what it takes to write an entire novel in a month. My last novel took more than three years of false starts, major shifts in character and structure, and finally, creeping along scene by scene until I reached my destination. And that was before I became the proud mother of energetic and very loud baby boy.
This will be a huge challenge, indeed. In addition to caring for the baby and writing my butt off at every opportunity, I also have a couple of weeks of work coming up and my best friend is scheduled to descend on Austin for a long weekend of drunken debauchery. On top of all that, I have to keep the house clean, shop for and prepare the meals, and keep up with my compulsive blog reading (I need the Comics Curmudgeon).
The bright side to all this is that I work best under pressure. For the past week I've been scoring essays 8 hours per day while managing to keep the baby satisfied and the house clean. I'm harried and disheveled, with huge bags under my eyes, but at least I know I can step up the pace and still hold onto my sanity.
To minimize the impending craziness, I've been doing as much pre-writing as possible. I know how my story starts, who the characters are, what their conflicts are, and how the conflicts are ultimately resolved. I've started a rough outline to show me which scenes happen where. Now all that's left is the hard part: sitting down to actually write the damn thing.
But ... this is the best story idea I've had in a long time. Writing it while it's fresh in my mind will surely be better than agonizing over every little detail until I get fed up and lose interest. If I pull this off, I won't have just written a novel -- I'll have written a good novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment